January 30, 2011

Socially Inept (Part 2)

I did it! I went to the get-together last night. Yes, I still had some anxiety last night before I got there, but it soon went away when I got to see everyone. I had not seen my friend, Jason, in a few years since he moved away to attend medical school at Virginia Tech.

It was a pretty laid back night. Dave and Amy have two of the cutest kids on the planet, so we all spend some time playing around with them in the living room. Once they were in bed, the gang seemed to fall back into our old routine of board game mania. We sat at the table playing different games until almost midnight. It was an absolute blast. We all were just too giddy as we laughed for hours. All this laughing made it hard to play some of the games at times. It was perfect.

We all departed just after midnight since Jason had an early flight this morning to get back home to Philadelphia. It was wonderful to see my friends whom have been away for so long.

So my social ineptness was overcome last night.

During our discussions throughout the night, many discussions included talk concerning Jason and his partner, George. I was amazed to hear Jason talk about his 2-year relationship with George. I was in awe just sitting there listening to how happy Jason is now in his life. Before Jason left town for medical school, he was not out to anyone. I didn't even learn about him being gay until Jenny (me best friend for all of you who don't already know) let it slip one night during our marathon-long phone conversations. Now to hear Jason so comfortable and happy with who he is in life made me smile like a kindergartener at nap time!

As I may have mentioned earlier, Jason was in town for a residency interview with one of the University's Internal Medicine clinics. Apparently, the reason he is looking around here is because George has a job prospect in the area as well. So they may be moving here. I am excited to meet George and to have him and Jason around here.

I can't think of what else I want to say about all of this. I just wanted to give you all the update into my social ineptness battle. Glad that I went after all. It was worth all the anxiety I had.

Good night, all!

3 comments:

  1. My kindergartner doesn't smile at naptime. At all. Quite the opposite, actually.
    Glad you went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay then...

    As happy as a kindergarten teacher at nap time!

    ReplyDelete