First off, I rarely find time to read a book simply for my own personal joy of it. During the school year, my time is pretty full with papers to grade, lesson plans to write, parents to call/visit, being the face of the teachers as the association president, and the list goes on and on! Every now and then, I catch the glimpse of a book that peaks my interest. This week was one of those times.
Last week I read an article that was spreading across the web, Facebook, ABC news, etc. It was about a man from Tennessee who made the commitment to live as a gay man for exactly one year. That's right, you read it correctly! This straight, uber-conservative, Jerry Falwell-type Christian man from the heart of the Bible Belt decided to live a complete year as gay.
As someone who has lived in Tennessee his entire life, I know many people like Tim. Not to mention that I completely identify and understand his upbringing in the church. So, I instantly knew where he was coming from in his life. However, I was blown away by the fact that he would choose to turn his life upside down to live as a gay man. I had to get this book.
Thank goodness for my iPad. The book was only a click away. I tore through this book over the past 24 hours. (Yes, I actually found the time to read an entire book. It doesn't happen often!) I saw in utter amazement at the events that led up to Tim's decision to conduct this "experiment."
Given that I don't want to give you the details of the book. I will just say that it was easy to feel the pain, anguish, fear, and love throughout this book. I just couldn't put it down. I wanted to know about Tim's year. Let's just say there are some events that take place during Tim's year that can only described as either divine intervention or insane irony.
I will think about writing my response to this book after I have had time to process it. For now, I just wanted to give you an idea of the next book to read.

Interesting premise, I wonder how far did he actually take it.
ReplyDeleteI'm wondering, as Ian above, how far a straight guy went with his gay life. It does sound a powerful book and I'm interesting in hearing more of your thoughts about it.
ReplyDelete